Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Anyone else need help??

When we come to work at the nature center, we never know what to expect. Today I had three different animal rescues.

The first was a young possum who was very disoriented. Not sure what was wrong with him, but unfortunately he passed away before we could get him to the vet. At least he passed away where it was warm and quiet.

Later I was called to one of the condos of Club Villas to get a bird who's wing appeared injured and could not fly for awhile. So I picked it up, and had to search through the bird guide for awhile to figure out who we had. I'm pretty sure it is a young great crested flycatcher, a bird that I've heard a lot around the resort but not seen that often (or that close!). It had the prettiest rufus/brown color on its tail and wings. Also grey and yellow underneath.
I took him to BEAKS, a nearby bird sanctuary. They suspected it had flown into a window and was in shock. With luck this beautiful bird will recover and be released.
While I was out getting the flycatcher, a man from a timber company called about two baby squirrels that had been in a nest in a downed tree. So he brought them in, after getting attached - which isn't hard to do with these cuties. They were skinny and dehydrated, so I've been feeding them pedialyte a little at a time to rehydrate them. It's not as yummy as milk, but I told them the more they drink and get hydrated, the sooner they move onto a puppy milk formula. Who can resist that?
Huey and Duey are probably around 4-5 weeks old, just opened their eyes. With round-the-clock care they should be just fine!











1 comment: