Sunday, January 17, 2010

A feisty guinea pig with feathers...

For the last few days, we've been receiving calls about a brown pelican on the beach with a hurt wing. By the time we'd get there, though, it was gone. Yesterday morning we got another call, so I went out and caught the pelican on the dune crossover behind our Shipwatch villas. It was pretty easy to catch, too weak to put up a fuss, covered in mites. So I carried it back to the van and put it in one of our carriers. I was so relieved to finally get this guy! Before I took the pelican to BEAKS, a nearby bird rescue, we got a call about another pelican on the beach with a hurt wing. Could I be so lucky as to easily catch this one, too? As he took one look at me and quickly walked the other way, I decided "nope" and called for backup! Luckily, Jacob and Kyle from our Aquatics department were on hand to assist. After telling them a little about pelican behavior so we could plan the capture, the boys got to learn first hand all about it! We tried surrounding it and pushing it up towards the dunes, not the water, but the pelican used what limited flight it had to get away into the water. About three times. Luckily, the waves proved too much for it to swim out to sea, so it kept coming back to the beach. Kyle was determined, though, and got a little wet but managed to net the pelican! I scooped him up, Jacob held his bill, and Kyle got the pelican, and me, out of the net. Not an easy task with a large bird using his feet (which have claws), beak, long wings, and even head to try to wrestle away. We managed to get him into a cage, though.
I have to thank these boys for helping me, I certainly could not have handled this guy without them! Unfortunately for them, the nature center didn't have a proper carrier to put this pelican in, as ours was in use by the other pelican I'd caught. So, we had to use this cage, which is much more suited for guinea pigs than large injured birds! Kyle and Jacob had to carry this guy to their truck and then transfer to our van while trying not to get pecked, which this very feisty pelican was trying desperately to do with his strong bill. Luckily no one was hurt. Please check out our needs list for things we need for these animal rescues. It's posted on the right-hand side of the blog. If there's anything you have on hand and could donate, please let us know. We (and the animals) would appreciate it!
The two pelicans were taken to BEAKS where they'll get expert care. In a few days I'll post how they're doing!
***UPDATE***January 21 - Both pelicans are doing fine and will be released once their wings heal! They'll spend their time in a special pelican enclosure at BEAKS until then!

1 comment:

  1. I have a few things I'll drop off the next time I'm down that way.

    ReplyDelete