Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cardinal crash

I was in the back today when I heard a loud "thump". I came out to see what it was and was horrified to see this male cardinal on the ground, his neck bent totally backwards and he gave out a little cry. I was almost in tears myself, but I scooped him up in a towel and put him in a carrier. I was about to rush him off to a local bird rescue, but he was sitting upright, so I just monitored him. Not long after he was fluttering around and cheeping away. I don't know how his neck coulda been bent that way and not broken, but he was very anxious to get out. So I released him and he flew right away to a nearby tree and started calling to his friends. Probably telling them about his near-death experience...
We had a wreath hanging on the glass door, I think that's what he was aiming for when he smacked into the window. I just hope he's ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment