Thursday, May 28, 2009

Are baby raccoons allowed to kayak?

April, the new intern, and I were taking down the kayaks today, when I heard a familiar sound nearby. It was a tiny baby raccoon! I knew the sound from previous rescued babies that have come to us, like this one we had last year. I looked beneath a hollowed-out tree, and the little one was there, just crying away. We think it was responding to the noise of us taking out the kayaks, and he wanted to join! We checked before launching the kayaks and the little guy was back in the tree. I decided to check on it before putting kayaks back on the racks after our tour, and the little guy was out again. As I'm looking at him, mama raccoon peeks out, takes one look at me, and grabs her baby back using her paw! I'm sure the follow-up discussion back in the tree involved NOT talking to strangers and not wandering off too far! Hope he learns his lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment