Tuesday, May 5, 2009

How to perk up a baby hawk...


This baby red-shouldered hawk fell out of his (or her) nest a couple of days ago...and mom and dad hawk didn't notice, despite his cries. Luckily the Park family in Callahan, FL kept an eye on him. They were unable to get him back up in the nest, so I picked him up. Fortunately we have a few dead mice on hand for the snakes...unfortunately they have to be cut up before feeding to the baby...a very gross task. At first baby was much more interested in sleeping than eating and I was really worried that he was too weak to make it....until I pried open his beak and put a piece of the mouse inside. Talk about taking a 180! He perked right up and gobbled up the other pieces of the mouse, and a few mealworms.
Once he started lookin
g at me like a hungry dinosaur...I decided that mealtime was over! I never
thought I'd be so happy to see something eat mouse guts! I have a feeling this guy will be just fine!



No comments:

Post a Comment